Tuesday, January 5, 2021

What a perfect night for MURDER

 So, one of my birthday gifts last year was a reprint of what was and probably still is my favorite of R. L. Stine's Fear Street series, Halloween Party.

 The set up for this one involve Terry and Niki, a dating couple getting an invite to a new student's Halloween Party on Fear Street, along with a few other classmates, almost none of whom run in the same circles. This, coupled with Terry's former best friend and Niki's ex, Alex being on the invite list, adds a "Jocks vs Wimps" contest to the affair. Indeed, during the first part, we get a flashback to the preceding weeks, and the rivalry heats up, followed by the arrival of all parties involved at the house. 

And the games begin in earnest, what with a fake death and several surprises, including mostly deaf Niki finding out the hostess, Justine, is not who she claims to be. Then an actual murder happens, and we set the stage for the grand finale, filled with grudges and the sins of the parents being wrought on the children. 

I rather enjoyed it when I was in the targeted age range, and indeed, as an adult, I found myself better understanding some of the motivations, since I too, know how to hold a grudge. I'm not inclined to turn them into a gothic pyre, though. Still fun,

No comments:

Post a Comment