Thursday, October 24, 2019

Professor Plum in the Conservatory with the Knife

The last library sale was slim pickings by the time I got there, although I did pick up Margaret Truman's Murder at the National Cathedral, figuring with the weather cooling down, a nice mystery might be nice.

And it was.

While this is evidently a series by the former First Daughter (complete with claims of being ghostwritten), I had never heard of it. None the less...

We start with Mac and Annabel, a lawyer/teacher and an art gallery owner, getting married at the National Cathedral by Reverend Singletary. Rev. Singletary is very much involved in The Word of Peace, a non denominational movement he's pulled Bishop St. James in to supporting, much to the chagrin of some of the other Cathedral Canons.

When Rev. Singletary is found dead in the Bethlehem Chapel, all heck breaks loose, as Mack and Annabel get sucked into the mystery. Even on their honeymoon in England, where another Anglican priest and friend of Singletary is found murdered in the Cotswald.

With MI5 and several DC based Alphabet agencies involved (as well as several suspicious Canons), who killed the priests and why?

I found this to be well written, if a but stuffy and slightly dated. The resolution made sense and one could see that the trails lead there. The thing which was killing me, though, was the 1990 publication date, when I would have been starting High School, and realizing how much the world has changed since then. I mean, no internet, so everything is going via post, everyone in the book is feeding change into pay phones, Mac and Annabel fly Pan Am to London. Perhaps it bothered me more than say, Agatha Christie, since I was actually alive in this period, and remember these things, even if I kept thinking about how the plot would play out in the contemporary era. Worth a read, if you need a good yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment