Thursday, September 25, 2014

Coming full circle

Well, nearly 2 years ago, when I started this blog, I was reviewing Seanan McGuire's Ashes of Honor. Now, two days before 2 years, I'm posting my 100th entry on here with her latest October Daye novel, The Winter Long.

So, here we are. As mentioned last time I was in this world, the finale had left the door open for October to grow into a more mature role. As such, this book starts with her promotion to Hero of the Realm, and spends much of the rest of the book dealing with secrets hidden from October for the entirety of her life. That the murder victim from book 1 shows up alive an well early on, as well as Simon Torquill, last seen in book one turning October into a fish for 9 years...

We then spend much of the book on an extended chase, as we learn many of the Luidaeg's secrets, so much more about the progenitors of the fairie kiths.... (Honestly, I was reminded of the antediluvians in Vampire...)

We learn more of October's mother and her new family.

Again, it seems to be another set up to further adventures, since we end with a few new mysteries, plus several antagonists put to sleep for a century or so.

Anyway, yeah, fun read.

Now to figure out what to read next. The one book I have left from the library is a rather heavy tome about the fall of France during WWII, which would not be pleasant to lug to and from work. The two I have on reserve are not in yet, and probably won't show up for a week or so. (One the library has one copy of, and I'm second on the list; the other the library has several copies of, but I'm like 50th in line to get one.) This is good, since I have a backlog of books I've purchased/been gifted with of late, but choosing from among them will be interesting. So, we'll see in a week what comes up on here.

In the meantime, thank you to all of you who've been in and out of here the past few years. I know this has become much more archival than anything else, but it's a labor of love. The divine reader in me salutes and recognizes the divine reader in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment